Before you begin, obtain Media Booster software and a configuration file from Imagine Learning Technical Support. You need to install the Media Booster software on the virtual machine and then add the configuration file.
To install Media Booster software
- Extract the Imagine Learning virtual hard drive.
- Initiate the VMware Setup Wizard.
- Select Custom (advanced), and click Next.
- Select Workstation 12.0 to choose the virtual machine hardware compatibility, and click Next.
- Select I will install the operating system later, and click Next.
- Under Guest operating system, select Linux and select Ubuntu from the Version dropdown menu, then click Next.
- Enter Imagine Learning Media Booster as the virtual machine name, then click Next to accept the default location; or click Browse to choose a location, then click Next.
- Set the minimum processor to 2 cores for the Media Booster, then click Next.
- Specify 8 GB of memory for the virtual machine, then click Next.
The Media Booster does not constantly use all of the memory or processing power, but more power may be required with future updates.
- Select a network type. Click Use bridged networking to allow the Media Booster to access your network, then click Next.
- Click Next to accept the recommended value for the SCSI controller.
- Select Use an existing virtual disk, then click Next.
- Click Browse and navigate to the location of the virtual drive that was previously unzipped, then click Next.
- Click Finish to exit the installation wizard.
To configure the Media Booster for your school
- Start the Media Booster virtual machine.
- From the login screen, copy the cloud-config.yaml file provided by Imagine Learning to the root directory of a FAT or FAT 32-formatted flash drive.
This process won't work if you don't use a FAT or FAT 32-formatted flash drive.
- Insert the flash drive into the host machine and select VM > Removable Devices > USB > Connect (Disconnect from Host) to connect the flash drive.
- When the flash drive is connected, the machine shuts down and restarts. When this process is complete, remove the USB from the host machine.
When you have completed the steps to install and start the Media Booster, contact Imagine Learning to verify that the Media Booster is working properly.
After the virtual Media Booster is online, 100 GB of media files will download automatically. The download completion time depends on your Internet connection.